I love adapting recipes to use in my microwave. When the weather is ultra hot it helps to keep the heat in the kitchen down and you never have to worry about burning the pan! Chilli jam is so versatile and adding apple makes it sweet and sticky and delicious. Use it on a cheese board, in a sandwich or stir fry, the possibilities are endless. Please do wear gloves when deseeding the chillies…I usually forget and pay the consequences with my hands burning for days after. Place a couple of plates in the fridge when you start making your jam. It will come in handy for checking readiness later.
- 100g chillies
- 500 grams sugar
- 500 mls apple cider vinegar
- 3 large cooking apples
- Trim and deseed the chillies then pulse in a blender.
- Core and quarter the apples but do not peel (the peel contains pectin).
- Place all ingredients in a large microwave proof bowl and stir to mix ingredients
- Microwave on high for 20 minutes.
- Stir the jam and microwave for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the apple pieces and push through a sieve and return the pureed apples to the bowl.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Take a spoon and drop a small amount of jam on to the plate. After a minute or two, give the jam a gentle push with your finger. If the jam wrinkles or ‘skins up’, your jam is done. If not, keep cooking and check every 5 minutes until you get it there.
- Pour jam into hot sterilised jars and seal.