This bread is so easy to make and tastes delicious. Serve it with a bowl of soup for a light supper or serve it with a Plowmans lunch. I like it hot with lots of butter. it also toasts well the next day… if you manage to have leftovers.
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups shredded tasty cheese
- 1 bottle of 355 ml light beer (Pure Blonde is an excellent choice)
- 100 grams bacon pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 180° Celsius.
- Prepare bread tin spraying with cooking spray and set aside. (my tin was 30 cms by 15 cms and it was an ideal size).
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the centre and add the bacon, 1 cup of the cheese and beer.
- Stir mixture with a spoon until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the tin; add remaining cheese and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes; remove from oven and drizzle remaining butter over the top.
- Bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until browned on top.
- Allow the tin to cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from tin and allow to cool on wire rack.