Red Velvet cake is rich and moist and so yummy with cream cheese frosting. I have adapted a recipe that’s been around for years that makes it even quicker to prepare in the Thermomix. If you want to prepare it the traditional way check the link at the bottom of the recipe. I usually make this recipe into cupcakes for special occasions. Today I gave my new kitchen gadget – a batter dispenser a work out. It was great for cupcakes… no messy drips….
Red Velvet Cake
- 300 grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 400 grams sugar
- 250 grams vegetable/canola/bran rice oil
- 2 eggs
- 250 grams buttermilk *
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 60 mls red food colouring or 1 teaspoon gel paste red food color
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 125 grams hot coffee
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Grease and flour two round 23 cm cake pans or grease and line the bake with baking paper.*
- Add flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, salt, cocoa and sugar to the mixing bowl to blend : 10 seconds/speed 3.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix: 10 seconds/speed 5.
- Check if ingredients are mixed and if necessary mix again : 10 second/speed 5.
- Pour the batter into the pans.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Don’t over cook.
- Allow cakes to cool for 10 minutes before turning them out of the pans onto a rack to cool completely.
- Ice with cream cheese frosting.
- To make buttermilk add 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to a cup of milk)
- Will make 24 cupcakes. Cook for 18-20 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 250 grams cream cheese (not light)
- 160 grams butter
- 250 grams icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Add all ingredients to bowl and mix : 30 seconds/speed 5 or until smooth.
- Refrigerate before piping
- Can be coloured.
- Will ice a 30 cm cake or 24 cupcakes.
For great recipes, home and gardening tips please like my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/homeinthealice/