I love those small pots of fruit paste you buy in the supermarkets to add to a cheese platter. They are usually around the $6.00 mark so fall into the category of a treat not an everyday purchase. Today I made nine pots of pear and ginger paste for $5.00. It takes a few hours, even using the Thermomix but the results are amazing. They make a nice gift and it’s a lovely addition to your cheese platter. I use Jamsetta, a pectin product available in the supermarket baking aisle to ensure my paste sets firmly.
Pear and Ginger Paste
- 10 cm fresh ginger/peeled/zested
- 5 pears/quartered /cored
- 2 apple/ quartered /cored
- 1 lemon/ zest only/grated
- 40 gms of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 500 gms sugar
- 15 gms Jamsetta
- Line a shallow 20 x 30 cm baking tray with baking paper and set aside or use small plastic containers with lids.
- Add pears, ginger, apple, lemon juice, lemon zest, Jamsetta and sugar and blitz for 10 sec/speed 8.
- Cook for 30 min/100/speed 1/MC* on and then scrape down sides of bowl.
- Cook 60 min/100°C/speed 3/MC off and basket on top of lid. Scrape down sides and cook a further 60 min/100°C/speed 3.
- Pour into the prepared baking tray or plastic containers and place in the fridge to set (at least 2 hours).
- Once set, slice and serve immediately or place lids on containers and store in the fridge until ready to serve. Will keep for at least 3 months.
*MC = Measuring cup