I was lucky enough to be able to buy a bucket of organic apricots today. I normally don’t have an abundance of fruit to play around with in the kitchen so it was fun to find and tweak and trial recipes. Today was an extremely hot day,so using the microwave was quick and let me keep my cool (literally).
I hope you enjoy the 3 recipes below… they are delicious, give them a try.
Microwave Apricot Jam
- 1 kilo apricots
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 whole cloves
- Cut the apricots into quarters discarding the pip. Place the apricots, water, lemon juice and cloves in a large bowl.
- Cook, covered with pierced plastic wrap for 10 minutes on high, stirring frequently.
- Remove cloves and add the sugar, stirring well.
- Cook covered on high for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Put a spoonful of jam on a cold plate.
- If a skin forms and the jam wrinkles when the plate is tilted, setting point has been reached.
- If jam is still liquid, cook for a further 2-3 minutes on high. Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.
To make this into a jelly, once cooked, blitz the jam in a blender or with a stick blender and then pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.
- Bring water and sugar to boil in a heat-proof bowl in the microwave. Stir well to dissolve sugar. Continue boiling for one minute.
- Halve and stone apricots. Pack into two 500ml preserving jars or similar.
- Pour hot syrup over fruit, leaving a 1cm space at top. Place jars in microwave. Cook on high for about three minutes for each jar – a total of six minutes. When small bubbles appear on fruit, sufficient cooking has taken place.
- Top up to overflowing with hot syrup.
- Place into hot sterilised jars and seal.
- Keep refrigerated.
Other stone fruit can be bottled this way.
Apricot and Capsicum Relish
- 200 grams fresh apricots finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red capsicum diced
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- Add all ingredients to a microwave safe bowl.
- Cook covered on high for 20-30 minutes until thick.
- Spoon into hot jars and seal while hot.
Makes 2 small jars. Keep refrigerated.