This is such an easy cake that slices well and keeps moist for ages. I used to love Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker yellow cake packet mixes. I haven’t seen them on the supermarket shelf for ages. This recipe is just as easy as preparing a packet mix and tastes so much better. The secret ingredient is custard powder. It gives the cake a lovely yellow colour. It only takes 30 seconds in your Thermomix and it’s ready for the oven! It is a great kids birthday party cake for decorating, as it can be shaped and will hold icing well. I like it with lemon icing for an afternoon tea treat.
Yellow Butter Cake
- 250 grams self-raising flour
- 250 grams softened butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 400 grams caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 100 grams custard powder
- 250 grams buttermilk*
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 160C.
- Place all ingredients in mixing bowl: 15 seconds/speed 5/measuring cup on.**
- Scrape batter down from the sides and mix: 15 seconds/speed 5/measuring cup on.
- Pour into a greased and lined on the bottom of a 23 cm deep square tin. Cook 1 hour.
- Check cake with a skewer (it should come out clean). Bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes if required.
Note: * to make buttermilk add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk and let it stand for a minute.
** If you don’t own a Thermomix add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and beat with an electric hand beater/stand mixer until mixture is smooth.
For great recipes, home and gardening tips please like my facebook pagehttps://www.facebook.com/homeinthealice/
Red Velvet cake is rich and moist and so yummy with cream cheese frosting. I have adapted a recipe that’s been around for years that makes it even quicker to prepare in the Thermomix. If you want to prepare it the traditional way check the link at the bottom of the recipe. I usually make this recipe into cupcakes for special occasions. Today I gave my new kitchen gadget – a batter dispenser a work out. It was great for cupcakes… no messy drips….
Red Velvet Cake
- 300 grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 400 grams sugar
- 250 grams vegetable/canola/bran rice oil
- 2 eggs
- 250 grams buttermilk *
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 60 mls red food colouring or 1 teaspoon gel paste red food color
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 125 grams hot coffee
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Grease and flour two round 23 cm cake pans or grease and line the bake with baking paper.*
- Add flour, baking powder, bicarbonate soda, salt, cocoa and sugar to the mixing bowl to blend : 10 seconds/speed 3.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix: 10 seconds/speed 5.
- Check if ingredients are mixed and if necessary mix again : 10 second/speed 5.
- Pour the batter into the pans.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Don’t over cook.
- Allow cakes to cool for 10 minutes before turning them out of the pans onto a rack to cool completely.
- Ice with cream cheese frosting.
- To make buttermilk add 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to a cup of milk)
- Will make 24 cupcakes. Cook for 18-20 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 250 grams cream cheese (not light)
- 160 grams butter
- 250 grams icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Add all ingredients to bowl and mix : 30 seconds/speed 5 or until smooth.
- Refrigerate before piping
- Can be coloured.
- Will ice a 30 cm cake or 24 cupcakes.
Adapted from http://divascancook.com/the-best-red-velvet-cake-recipe-easy-homemade-moist-with-southern-flair/
For great recipes, home and gardening tips please like my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/homeinthealice/