This is such an easy cake that slices well and keeps moist for ages. I used to love Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker yellow cake packet mixes. I haven’t seen them on the supermarket shelf for ages. This recipe is just as easy as preparing a packet mix and tastes so much better. The secret ingredient is custard powder. It gives the cake a lovely yellow colour. It only takes 30 seconds in your Thermomix and it’s ready for the oven! It is a great kids birthday party cake for decorating, as it can be shaped and will hold icing well. I like it with lemon icing for an afternoon tea treat.
Yellow Butter Cake
- 250 grams self-raising flour
- 250 grams softened butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 400 grams caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 100 grams custard powder
- 250 grams buttermilk*
- Preheat a fan forced oven to 160C.
- Place all ingredients in mixing bowl: 15 seconds/speed 5/measuring cup on.**
- Scrape batter down from the sides and mix: 15 seconds/speed 5/measuring cup on.
- Pour into a greased and lined on the bottom of a 23 cm deep square tin. Cook 1 hour.
- Check cake with a skewer (it should come out clean). Bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes if required.
Note: * to make buttermilk add a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk and let it stand for a minute.
** If you don’t own a Thermomix add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and beat with an electric hand beater/stand mixer until mixture is smooth.
For great recipes, home and gardening tips please like my facebook pagehttps://www.facebook.com/homeinthealice/